Sunday, July 30, 2006

HGTV at our house...




We have had an eventful weekend. On Friday, as I was finishing up work, the scheduling lady called. "I see that you requested an early day on Monday because it is your anniversary (yep, I remembered. Chalk up one for the good guys!). We actually have too many anesthesiologists for rooms that day. Now you are not on schedule to be forced to take a day off, but if you would like to have a day off, then we could get it for you..." Friday was turning into a great day.

I hurried home and found my cute wife there (see picture). I told her that we had a three day weekend, and what would she like to do for a fun anniversary weekend. Without batting an eye she said, "I'd like for you to do housework." Here is where I show where I am saavy at being a husband, but not too smart.
"Great!" I responded. "What specifically do you want to do?"


Let me go back in time here. When we lived in SLC, we purchased a beige couch. We thought, "that couch will go with anything." Our builder had the same idea when he built the house, so when we moved here, we suddenly had a beige couch in a room with beige walls and beige carpet. Of course, this means that the couch changes from being a lovely beige to being camoflouge colored. After tripping on it 3 times because I couldn't see it, we decided that we needed to do eventually do something to decrease the amount of beige in the room.

Back to the present.

"Why don't we decorate and paint the front room?" entoned my beautiful, and still pregnant wife. "We could paint and get curtains and decorate in the nook above the fireplace."

This sounded like a fantastic idea. I quickly agreed. Later that night, I realized that because of the chemicals, in her gravid state, my dear wife would be unable to help paint. That the job would fall to me. I don't mind painting, but from past experience, Alicia is actually the much better painter, and she likes doing it.

We spent the next few hours picking out curtains, paint, and making plans.

On Saturday morning, we got a telephone call from Uncle Phil. He and Aunt Joyce were going to be in the area, and wanted to stop by at 6:30pm. So now we had a deadline. There is nothing to make you work hard like a deadline. We ran to the local craft store and spent some time picking out things to put in the nook. This was going to be Alicia's job. We then ran to Lowe's and purchased primer and paint. Interesting note here: when we arrived at Lowe's, there was a class about acheiving vivid and bright colors when painting. The recommended using a gray primer. It seemed crazy to me, but we did it anyway.

We hurried home, taped of the wall and I started painting. Alicia started working on the corner. By 6:00pm I only had one coat on, but we cleaned up the front room just in time to have Uncle Phil and Aunt Joyce arrive. They gave us a present of a nice doormat, and we visited long enough for Uncle Phil to recollect at least one story of Dad's Ferris Beuhler-like ability to do cool and almost-illegal things without getting caught. We also had homemade ice cream. Uncle Phil and Aunt Joyce were also sweet enough to say "Oooh!" while admiring the wall, even though (see photo).



After they left, we put another coat of paint on the wall. I finished hanging the curtains. I have to admit that Alicia was right. I was sure that we should just get the panel curtains and none of this weird curtainy stuff, but it turned out even better than I imagined.

The house still smells like paint, but I think the corner nook turned out especially nice. The pirate theme, however, is merely an accident.



I'm not sure what we are going to do on monday, but if I had to guess it will involve me moving boxes and at least two trips to Lowe's home center. It could be much worse, however. At least I remembered it was my anniversary.


3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Hey, cute "curtains" and haircut, and uh, "gravid state"? You can take the boy out of medical school, but you can't take the medical school out of the boy.
Love the blog!

Sun Jul 30, 04:46:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the curtains and the color of paint. Weesy, if I had known that you enjoyed painting I would have put you to work at our house a long time ago!!!

Wecky

Mon Jul 31, 06:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Vive Uncle Phil! I'm starting to become a believer--just a few more photographs and perhaps a real interview with Uncle Phil will solidify the Great Doubt.
Glad to hear you heard another story about Grandpa/Dad.

Enjoy the change of environ,

Jon

Wed Aug 02, 08:56:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home