A needle pulling thread
Our little nephew, Colby, turned five this last July and started kindergarten. The first week all of the students went the traditional half-day schedule. The next week, those students who are doing all-day kindergarten, started their new schedule, including Colby. During the middle of that second week my mom went to wake up Colby to get ready for school. He wouldn't open his eyes even after she rolled him over. With eyes still closed he said, "I quit". Apparently, this new, rigid schedule of learning, playing, snack time, finger-painting, nap time, etc. was overwhelming for this little guy. Good news, he did get up that morning and every morning since then. Way to go Colby!More room in our house and more time on my hands has proven to be a dangerous combination. As Nathan mentioned in a previous blog, I have decided to learn to sew. I sectioned off a part of the bonus room as my sewing center. My sister had a baby girl two weeks ago, so we thought we could make a baby quilt for McKenna. (No pictures, as I still haven't received any myself.) A baby quilt seemed like a good place to start. We picked out cute material with a Winnie the Pooh theme, a good place to start. After buying that and the other necessary supplies at the fabric store we headed to Lowe's. It's a compulsion. There, we bought PVC pipe to make a quilting frame. Nathan did a great job!

Cutting the material and tying the quilt turned out to be the easy part. Nathan, patiently, taught me how to use the sewing machine. It is a skill I have previously learned, but after many years of not using it I lost it. After finally outsmarting the bobbin, I was on my way. I spent a lot of time practicing sewing on scrap material before I began work on the actual quilt. Nathan and I even made little curtains for the windows next to our door. This was something Nathan thought we should have after he came downstairs in his garments and as our neighbor walked up to the door. I think our neighbors are very glad that all of our blinds are up and that we have added our little curtains.

After helping with the curtains, I felt ready to sew the edges of the quilt. From far, far away the quilt looks fine, whereas close up it is obvious that it is a first try. When Nathan got home he said, "Oh, it looks great." I said, "Look a little closer". Even my kind, encouraging husband had to admit that it looks better from a distance. Thankfully, McKenna is an infant and not particularly critical.

It is cute material, isn't it?
After this first attempt and failure at instant perfection I felt a little discouraged and overwhelmed. But, like Colby I think I will persevere and see how it goes. Readers should consider this a warning, I have other gift ideas in mind!
2 Comments:
Wonderful! I tied a quilt almost two years ago... but I don't dare bind it. How did you do it? Did you just sew the edges together? I wish I had your courage oh lion.
Holy moly that's a familiar little face at top. What a cutie.
Your quilt looks great. I think we could be great sewing buddies---i sew things and when people compliment them I screech, "DON'T GET TOO CLOSE". All my sins can be revealed in those atrocious stitches I try to pass off as sewing.
Post a Comment
<< Home