Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Do Your Best

That is the Cub Scout motto and as a recently recruited Den Leader I am trying to do just that. Upon moving into our new ward and trying to get to know new people, it seemed as though I kept running into the Primary Presidency. For example, the president is my visiting teacher and works with Nathan at the hospital, the first counselor and I had a long time to chat when we were the only people who showed up for the sewing class, and the second counselor had us over for cookies and ice cream a few weeks after we moved to Salem. Even after my intentional efforts to be unkind to small children in their presence, I still figured a Primary calling was coming my way. Therefore, I was not surprised when the second counselor in the Bishopric said he wanted to meet with Nathan and I after the block. With all this forewarning I never anticipated being asked to be a Den Mother, but that is what happened. He sat me down and used foreign words like Bear and Den, so I turned to Nathan for the interpretation. He simply said, "You would be helping out with the nine year old scouts." Of course, I said I would be delighted.

I still rely heavily on Nathan to decode this world of scouting for me. Two weeks ago he went with me to the Scout Store here in town and helped me get my scouting uniform. He even sewed on all the patches for me.


A friend, who is a devoted reader of our blog, requested a picture after I told her about getting the uniform. No, they don't have a maternity section at the Scout Store, so this is going to look even better in the coming months.







I have been to two Den meetings and one Pack meeting. There are two other Den Leaders and 10 Bears. This allows us to divide up the responsibilities and maintain law and order at our meetings. I still have many silly songs to learn and a training to attend next month. As daunting at it seemed at first, the world of scouting isn't too hard to navigate, especially with helps like Nathan, the Cub Master and handbooks that make it pretty clear. Nine year-old boys still seem strange to me, but I am enjoying getting to know the scouts and their families. I need to go and get the game ready for this afternoon's Den Meeting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

You'll be a great den leader! And the uniform looks very spiffy. Good for Nathan for doing the sewing--the most hateful job in Scouting.

Tue Oct 10, 10:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Julie Castellon said...

Love the photo. That shirt would be flattering on anyone. But on you it looks especially terrific! You are a good girl to embrace scouting as you are. Hurray for patches and in the right place too!

Thu Oct 12, 08:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ruth said...

when i was in 4th grade, my mom was den mother in our ward, and so when i got home from school once a week, all the boys my age from church would be there. and she'd be paying attention to them, not me, and they'd get treats and games and stuff and i didn't. i wished i was a cub scout...

Fri Oct 13, 10:23:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weesy, I told you the marvy yellow would look good on you! Just remember that if you misplace the doohickie that keeps the scarf around your neck, a CTR ring will work, too. All of my brothers had to have at least one school picture in their scout uniform and the doohickie was often misplaced ;) Nathan, you are a good man to sew on the patches. I remember my mom was disgusted with another mother for just taping her boy's patches on :)

Wecky

Mon Oct 16, 09:36:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home