Malaise...
The day before yesterday I felt like I was starting to get a cold. That is a miserable feeling. In medical school, we are taught that an upper respiratory viral illness includes symtpoms of congestion, headache, pharyngitis, myalgia, and malaise. The medical book description doesn't do it justice. For such a genteel word, malaise is actually the symptom that I like the least; it is that yucky-icky-sick feeling you have where everything hurts. I checked to see if I had a light day the next day because I felt miserable; nope - 6 cases in 8 hours and all of the cases were with patients that were obese or morbidly obese. Sigh.
Obesity and morbid obesity are tricky conditions to deal with from an anesthetic point of veiw. The body takes on all sorts of physiological changes to deal with the increased weight including pulmonary problems and increased strain on the heart. It just makes anesthesia that much more dangerous. I guess it means that I should lose weight, avoid anesthesia, or both. Sigh.
Being sick is not too much fun. Then again, I guess that is how my patients feel too. And I don't have cancer, heart disease, or gallstones. Just malaise.
2 Comments:
I guess Malaise would not be the number one choice for a name if you have a girl. I think it actually sound pretty... Get feeling better! (Sleep, sleep, sleep)
Malaria sounds kind of like malaise. Members of David's staff keep coming to him and saying that they feel like they're coming down with malaria. The South Sudanese treat malaria like the common cold--you expect to get it a couple of times a year and you just come to work with it, feeling malaise, doubtless. I hope you get well soon, and I hope it doesn't turn into malaria!
Post a Comment
<< Home