Thursday, October 19, 2006

Swelling Uteri

I remember observing during my mom's last pregnancy (Hi Mallory!) that people seem unusually comfortable commenting on the swelling belly or even touching the protruding region. This is behavior that is normally unacceptable, but somehow the pregnancy breaks down those social mores. A good friend of mine is due in three weeks. When we first moved into the ward, I noticed that people told her that she was too small, but recently, as her delivery is imminent and the swelling has certainly increased, the same people feel comfortable telling her she is too big. Of course, it is said with a touch of humor, but in blogs it is important to cut to the chase. Through my second trimester people have been telling me that I am so small, blah, blah, blah. I soaked it all up, but I saw, through my friend's experience, what awaits.

For our out of town readers, and that everyone, there has been a recent increase in girth and the small comments are ceasing. Yesterday, Nathan and I went to my regular visit with my OB. I was actually scheduled to meet with the nurse practitioner and this was our first introduction. In past visits my weight gain has been textbook good, I mean to the exact pound. This time, well, there were three pounds extra. The nurse practioner commented on this, grrrr, and she became my immediate sworn enemy. She asked, "Has there been anything different?" I answered that I was wearing heavier shoes and that the appointment was in the afternoon. Clarifying her question, she said, "No, like any special parties, change in behavior". I told her yes, we had attended a terrific party in which the food was so good I gained three extra pounds. Actually, I kept this comment to myself and told her about my potential muscle weight gain from doing my new workout video, "Fitmama". As you can imagine, she was very impressed.

Besides the "weight issue" the appointment went very well. Raisin's heartbeat is getting stronger and is perfect. She moves around quite a bit these days and I am thinking she is going to be a much better dancer than either of her parents. I was offered a flu shot and accepted. I had to fill out a form and mark that I had not experienced any cold symtoms that day. As I had felt great all day, I gladly circled no. The paper no more than left my hand when I felt a tickle in my throat. I figured it was the power of suggestion, but by the end of the night I had myself a sore throat and the raspy voice to match. It took a few days, but whatever Nathan had last week finally caught up with me.

I need to go, I am really hungry for some ice cream.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Sorry about the illness, those are miserable when the vast drugs available in the real world are limited by your incubation situation.

"but in blogs it is important to cut to the chase" made me laugh out loud.

Um, I gained nothing for 5 months--NOTHING and then gained 12 pounds in my 7th month. I got a lot of new sworn enemies at the dr's office that month.

Fri Oct 20, 10:53:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why it is good to have Dr. Goodman for an OB/GYN. And I quote, "If I want an enchilada, then I'll eat one." Good grief . . . I'm glad I've never been called on my weight because heaven knows I had a few oops where did those five pounds come from??? :)

Wecky

Mon Oct 23, 01:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Annette said...

My Dutch midwives refused to weigh me as a matter of policy. It was wonderful!

I have the Post-natal FitMama DVD. Do you want it? When you're post-natal, of course.

Fri Oct 27, 01:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Alicia said...

Annette- Yes, thank you! I was planning on sending away for it.

Fri Oct 27, 07:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Julie Castellon said...

I wish I could sing you the "FitMama" song I made up in my head! No one ever commented on my weight gain. One bennefit for being overweight to begin with. You keep your feet up, ya hear... that swelling can get really out of control.

I miss you!

Wed Nov 01, 09:29:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home