Halloween Fun


On October 20th, we hosted our third annual murder mystery party. It is a game that is purchased and then we invite six other people to come over and participate as characters in this story. The setting was the old west, so we tried to establish this by using burlap as a table cloth and serving dinner in rustic pie tins. Don't worry, they were more clean and disposable than rustic. The game went really well. Each person is given a little booklet and more information is revealed each round. It requires that the players be inquisitive and persistent, good thing we invited one lawyer and two law students. Nathan and I were both able to figure out the murderer, it has only taken us three times to figure out how this game works.
Last night we went to the trunk-or-treat with our friends Jeremy and Sarah. It was great seeing the kids from our ward dressed in their costumes. We couldn't help but mourn the passing of the Halloween of our youth. The kids didn't know what we meant when we said we wanted a trick rather than giving a piece of candy. I realize that the trunk-or-treat is done for safety reasons, but these kids were moving through very quickly. The kids could hardly stand to wait if we had a pile up of more than three kids at a time. They were able to go to 100 cars in less than twenty minutes. Has anyone ever seen how this process has been slowed down a bit or would that be like trying to hold back a wave with just your hands? My strong moral sense and teacher skills allowed me to catch kids who tried to come back for seconds. It did get the better of me though when I got after a four year-old lost fairy before I was able to catch myself.
Jeremy and Sarah are expecting their first child next week. Consequently, the question came up, at what point is it socially acceptable to walk a child around in a costume to collect candy for yourself? We decided it would be okay for them to dress their one year-old up next year and go to some cars. What about Raisin? She will be nine months old and therefore not ready for candy. She will definitely be in costume, but can I send Nathan around for some loot? I am interested in your input and perhaps past experiences.
4 Comments:
Rest assurred that, despite whatever opinions anyone might have, I'm going to go collect candy for myself with Raisin in costume. So go ahead and opine - won't change me. Naa naa naa naa!
Just take your camera along and have each candy-passer-out pose holding Raisin--they'll just naturally shower you with treats for having such an adorable baby!
Well, I got some looks walking around with my oblivious 19 month old. I'd hold out HER bag of candy because HEAVEN FORBID she not get what her brother has, and people looked at me like I was scamming. "Aren't you a little big" Yes, I am big, but you have abnormally long nose hairs, so we're even". I say, indulge yourself in just one more year when your life isn't run by Halloween.
Sounds like Angela had a difficult Halloween. Sorry...
Brigham was 8 months old and we totally collected candy for him. That will be the only time you can eat your kids Halloween loot with out having to beg or sneak it behind their backs.
Two girls from our branch took the twins around and filled their bags to the brim. I took one bag for "us" and the other I sent home with the girls. Everyone was happy.
We now have too much candy though, and we did give Brigham and Sarah's candy back out to the kids who came to our house. They enjoyed giving candy out, so Halloween also becomes a fun lesson in sharing. You just can't beat a great Halloween.
Is Raisin going to be a raisin for "her" first Halloween?
We actually got some raisins in the kids' loot bags this year. Just FYI...
Post a Comment
<< Home