Snow Day
When Nathan and I were discussing potential places to live I mentioned that it would be nice to live where it doesn't snow. I do like snow, it is beautiful and nice for skiing. It is just troublesome to drive in and the outside temperature is cold. I figured the decision to move to Oregon met this request. Wrong. It snowed both Monday and Tuesday here in Salem. I have to admit, it was beautiful.

The local schools closed Tuesday because of the dangerous road conditions. While I agree with the decision, I couldn't help but think back to my years of teaching in Utah and how in that time there was not one snow day. One time my twenty minute commute took over one hour. There was another day of bad road conditions in which I saw my life flash in front of me as my car was sliding uncontrollably towards a school bus. At the last minute the wheels did grip and I hit a curb and some decorative yard rocks instead.

Yesterday I went to a doctor's appointment and upon my return found that some neighborhood kids (or the college students who live across the street) had built a snowman in our yard. Those are its remains on the left.
Notice: our Thanksgiving blog will be posted soon...
3 Comments:
When we lived in Seattle, we thought (having just moved from Boston) it was silly to close the city down for snow until we realized that there was about one snow plow for the entire city. If it snows just once a year, it's not worth it to buy more, but it sure makes driving on snow days hard!
were you happy about the snowman in your front yard? i would be!
The snowman looked like it does in the picture when I arrived home, therefore I really didn't get the full effect. I did appreciate the idea of him and his potential. Sadly, it just wasn't cold enough.
Post a Comment
<< Home