Monday, November 13, 2006

Voting, Oregon Style...

First of all, you've probably already noticed the new look of the blog. It is a work in progress, so you may see changes yet. There are supposed to be some pictures, but they haven't yet materialized.

So last week we voted. Oregon, unlike most of the rest of the United States, have decided that the Diebold electronic machines are fraught with danger. Here, every ballot is mailed to the voter. In addition, there is an enormous effort to send out voter information. A multipartisan commission (I would say non-partisan, but let's be real - also Oregon has a pretty big Constitution Party and Green Party) puts together a plain english version of a resolution. In addition, a nonpartisan economic commission writes an outline of the economic impact of any resolution. Then, any person for or against a measure can pay $50 to write a brief summary of why we ought or ought not vote for a resolution. Each candidate is given space to discuss their platform and brief biographical sketch is given. This voter information guide is mailed to every voter. Ballots are then accepted by the US Mail, or you can drop it off at the election headquarters.

On Voting Day, Alicia and I gathered together all of the important information (Ballots, pens, 1st season of the West Wing DVDs)
and began our voting process. It was so nice to be able to do it at home. When we had a question about an issue, we could refer to the pamphlet and the internet. It was especially nice on voting for local offices; assessor, county surveyor, etc. where I have in the past been relatively less informed. It took us about 2 hours to complete our ballots (not counting time to review episodes of the West Wing), but I was extremely happy with my ballot by the end. I think I will do this anywhere I live with an absentee ballot if I ever move away from Oregon. Plus, we then went out for mexican food as our new voting tradition. Because nothing says your a patriotic American like eating Mexican food.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

my experience with voting is this: a practice ballot in a practice voting machine when i was six and dad was voting for something. oh, and for the governor of california, mom and dad voted absentee, and we got the whole HUGE LONG list of candidates, including arnold schwarzenegger, in the mail. the thing was like an inch thick.

and mmm... mexican food is a great tradition!

Tue Nov 14, 09:55:00 AM PST  
Blogger Annette said...

How wonderful to have voting traditions!

Is the West Wing worth watching?

(and just see how many w's you can fit in a sentence...)

Thu Nov 16, 02:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger Nate said...

The West Wing is worth watching without reservation; it has wonderfully witty and wry writing as well as great storylines. (I think I got 10 Ws)

Thu Nov 16, 10:25:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home