Monday, December 11, 2006

Expectant Parent Series

With seven weeks to go, Nathan and I attended our "How to have a baby and what to do after that" class last Saturday. Several months ago we signed up for the weekend express class that is held on Friday and Saturday. Then, a couple of weeks ago we found out about a holiday party that would conflict with our going to the class on Friday. We decided to attend the holiday party, it was for the local anesthesiologists at a local restaurant that we like and it sounded like a lot more fun than learning about labor. The party was great, I really like Nathan's partners and their spouses and I have limited opportunities to socialize with them.

Well, we didn't want to seem like jerks who thought the first 3 hours of a 12 hour class were not important, so we called ahead to inform the nurse educator and to get the information we would be missing. She loaned Nathan 3 videos. We watched the first which followed three couples through their birth experience and it sent Nathan to pacing the room. The video was at least 20 years old and the information they provided about epidurals was inaccurate and biased. None of the three women had an epidural and one lady was encouraged to take morphine through an IV rather than have an epidural. Now, let me clarify Nathan does not think everyone should have an epidural and respects the choice of individual women regarding the birthing process. He just doesn't like false information being provided to women that makes them think that epidurals are risky or will delay the birthing process. After he had calmed down, we watched the other two videos. One was on comfort measures that the support person can do, apparently Nathan will need to remind me to breathe. I know that my memory has been affected during my pregnancy, but does it get so bad during labor that I will forget to breathe? The last was an informative video on pre-term labor symptoms.

Even before our video experience I had some concerns about taking Nathan to this class. The OB nurses have been teasing him for months about going. I just kept reminding him that he needed to go to learn how to be the support person not the doctor. Fortunately, they did go over some more effective measures than reminding your partner to keep breathing. When we got there we introduced ourselves and the instructor said, "Oh, you are our anesthesiologist. I am so glad to have you here to answer questions." There wasn't going to be a verbal battle over epidurals, I was so happy. When we covered epidurals and spinals, the instructor let Nathan explain more about the procedure. We also watched a video that had two anesthesiologist explain the procedures and risks. I believe Nathan was pleased with the information being presented to prospective patients at Salem Hospital. Speaking of patients, we went to the store that evening and a woman with her husband and three children stopped Nathan to thank him for the epidural. I think it made him feel good.

The class did make for a long day, but overall it was a helpful and informative class. I especially appreciated the tour of the hospital and that our instructor went through basically everything that would happen while I was there. We also met some very nice couples and it was fun to talk babies with people that were expecting around the same time we were. The couple to our left was LDS and had just finished at BYU in August. The lady grew up in Champaign, Illinois and her parents know Nathan's brother. We also got to practice with a baby doll, just so you know Nathan would be excellent at breastfeeding. Also, we are capable of putting a diaper on a doll, so we should be just fine. I don't know why Nathan is so anxious about having a baby.













One more thing, they gave us a huge list of things I should pack in my "going to the hospital to have a baby" bag. For our readers that have been through this process, what are one or two things that you were very grateful you had packed? Do you have any suggestions that are not included on the typical list? Even if you haven't done this before, what are your suggestions?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh ooh oooh ooooh! I love talking about birthin' babies!

Those epidural videos are AWFUL. They had me terrifed and Jay didn't sleep for weeks. Also, after 2 weeks of our birthing classes, we had to start couples therapy. Holy moly, one of us was not ready for a baby. And it weren't the one who couldn't back out!

The best advice I had was from my dr, she said take some dried apricots. I snacked on them throughout the days after delivery, and without being to gross or graphic, their assistance made my life the complete success it has been up to this point in my life. I need them there figs.

Also, I packed nothing for baby #2. You want a clean pair of maternity clothes to go home in and that's about it. But, everyone's experience is different. But also, if you aren't far from the hospital, Nathan will probably be coming and going anyway. "Nathan, bring me that O'Douls from the back of the fridge, that was hard!"

Mon Dec 11, 02:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger riggity said...

I can only speak from bystander experience, but, man, epidurals are awesome...

as for stuff to bring, we wished would have brought some DVDs for the boring times where we were just waiting for stuff to happen. we had a DVD player, but nothing to watch. oh, and an iPod was nice.

Tue Dec 12, 12:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger sarah said...

Something I was glad that I packed were slippers. Also, before I had Elliot, someone told me to bring my own nightgown to deliver the baby in. She said that wearing your own clothes, rather than a hospital gown, makes you feel less like a patient. Granted, I didn't pack my own nightgown, but that's probably because I don't own one.

And yes, bring some entertainment!!

Wed Dec 13, 09:26:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weesy -

I would recommend a roll of quarters for the snack machine. Nimmy advised me of this and I was glad. Just ask Nathan not to eat/drink any of your favorites when you are unable to eat anything. Rob showed up with a DP and I just about killed him (because I was ready to cry). The only thing I can say about an epidural is that it part of being a part of the "chosen generation, saved for this last dispensation". They are literally a gift and make me want to sing the Primary song "Heavently Father Loves Me". Bring slippers and laptop for movies. Although with #2 Rob kept going upstairs to visit his co-workers and I slept. As I said above, epidurals are a gift. Thanks, Nathan!

Wed Dec 13, 09:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger riggity said...

oooh. quarters are a great idea for the salem birthing center. the regular food was just awful.

Thu Dec 14, 08:07:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few things I was glad I brought were little mittens for Morgan cause he kept scratching his face off and I was way too nervous and out of it to clip his finger nails. Also,I know we've talked pacifiers before, but I highly recommend the NUK ones, if you choose to use them,I brought those so he could get used to them right off the bat plus the hospital ones never stay in their mouth. Of course Morgy likes them a little too much now though! And be sure not to forget to pack yahtzee!!!! j/k

Sun Dec 17, 08:11:00 PM PST  
Blogger Annette said...

I was panicked about the bag because IT WASN'T PACKED BY MY DUE DATE! We ended up taking a marginal stash of things to the hospital with us, whatever we could grab quickly since we were going to be sent right back home by the labor and delivery nurses. But Sam was born two hours later. And we did just fine. In fact, we didn't have time to use any of the stuff we hadn't brought along with us. David brought clothes for me and the baby from home the next day.

We did use an audiotape of soothing music after Sam was born. It was the only thing that calmed him down and made him stop crying.

Thu Dec 21, 06:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger Annette said...

By the way, that is a beautiful child you are holding in the photo, Nat.

Thu Dec 21, 06:48:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home